Thursday, September 26, 2013

Neighborhood Gems You've Never Seen

I live in Fairfax County, Virginia, which has a population of about 1 million.

Doesn't sound as if there's much room for greenery, does it?

Fortunately, it's also a large county by area. Yes, it's crammed with people, but the planners have done a decent job preserving large swaths of land for parks, trails and such.

Today, for the first time, I happened to click on the official Fairfax County hiking trails webpage. Never noticed it before, and I learned something new right away. Had no idea that Huntley Meadows was the largest park in the county.

In fact, of all the major parks in the county, Huntley Meadows is the only one I've never visited. Next time I'm out for a long bicycle ride, I'll head that way and see what I've been missing.

While this is obviously useful info for my local readers, it's something all of us should realize _ there are often treasures located in your own neighborhood, town, city or county that you've never seen. They say that people who live in people in New York never go up the Empire State Building. I live near Washington, D.C., but I only visit the wonderful museums when I have company in town. (Hey, everyone, come and visit me, so I'll have an excuse!)

So, for my friends in Fairfax County, visit the website and see what's there. For the rest of you, find a way to explore the sites in your own area, places you never thought to visit.

Then, when you're ready to travel again, come with us. We've got hiking trips to Switzerland, Virginia, Vegas and Vermont next year. Sign up now.

See you on the trails.
Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment