Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Make Your Own Snacks

Last night I stayed up late making pies.
5-layer chocolate on the left, 5-layer butterscotch on the right

Believe it or not, that's an outdoor-related activity. On the way back from a canoeing trip in Minnesota a few years ago, our group happened to drive by a place called Betty's Pies, overlooking Lake Superior.

It was pie heaven. I had a slice of 5-layer butterscotch, and it was the best piece of pie I've ever tasted. I became such a fan that I ordered the Betty's Pies cookbook when I got home. My own attempts at the 5-layer butterscotch aren't quite as good as the original, but it's close enough.

Home-made pies don't work too well on hikes, but you can certainly make your own snacks. Backpacker magazine has this recipe for Cherry-Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars. The name sounds yummy. Give it a try.

Maybe one day we'll add a stop at Betty's Pies on one of our hiking trips. Instead, we'll find other treasures next year as we go to Switzerland, Vermont, Virginia and Vegas. Here's all you need to know.

See you on the trails.
Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment