Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Igloo!!! (And, yes, Merry Christmas, while we're at it ...)



I've always wanted to build an igloo. Not just a tiny hole in some snow, but one big enough to sit in and relax while drinking some hot chocolate _ and certainly big enough to throw down a sleeping bag to spend the night. While growing up in North Carolina and later living in London and Virginia, I was always a bit envious of those people up north who got to build snowhuts and big ice sculptures in the front yard every winter.

Well, we finally got a major dumping of the white stuff on Saturday _ 20 inches at our house. It took a while, but I managed to build an igloo that held five people sitting comfortably on an ice bench. We crawled in at night holding a candle. It was sooooooo cool _ in every sense of the word. It doesn't look like much from the outside _ and I probably didn't follow the standard igloo-building procedures _ but I can say I did it.

I was tempted to spend the night inside. In retrospect, I wish I had. My winter sleeping bag would have been a perfect fit.

I had houseguests from North Carolina over the weekend, and they'd never seen so much snow. I still have to walk 50 feet just to get to my car. The ground will definitely stay white through Christmas _ and maybe into the New Year.

I just checked a live webcam in Kandersteg, Switzerland, where I'll be leading a hike next summer. Yep, snow on the ground there, too. And a simple Christmas tree lighting up the dark night.

I'm off to North Carolina to see family for Christmas. My Dad is 97; my Mom is 92. God bless 'em both. I really love this time of year. It's the only time I love to shop _ and that's because I'm thinking about the people I love as I do it.

So, on this beautiful night in Virginia _ as the lights from my outdoor tree twinkle through the window near my keyboard _ I get a romantic twinge as I think about the few people out there in the Internet world who might actually read this little blog. I am so fortunate. I have a happy life, good friends and a great family. How I so wish that feeling for each of you. And for everyone. May your world have lots of love. May this tired old world experience more peace in 2010. If you are alone this Christmas, please accept a cyber-hug from me. I wish I could do more.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Joseph
http://myhikingvacations.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment