Saturday, December 5, 2009

C&O Snow Hike _ And Snowcream!!



Here's the first snowman of the year! A little creation I construction this morning on the C&O Canal in Maryland during a 6-mile hike. We knew the weather was going to be dicey _ thus we altered our previous plans to drive to the Blue Ridge and hike at Wildcat Mountain _ but the white stuff came down even quicker than we expected. What a winter wonderland! As they say: "There's no business like snow business."

And, by the way, in case you were wondering: "You don't have to be a star to be in my snow."

And, yes, in the spirit of the season, I believe I was heard singing the classic Christmas song: "Do You Snow What I Snow?"

This snow is great packing snow _ perfect for snowballs, snowmen and snowcream.

Snowcream? Don't tell me you've never eaten snowcream! It's the greatest winter treat ever!

OK, you snowcream novices: Here's the recipe, straight from wonderful More-With-Less Cookbook:

_ 2 1/2 quarts clean snow (Skimming it off a car is best. Obviously, if you live in a high pollution area _ near a factory, for example, you probably don't want to try this.)
_ 1/2 cup milk
_ 1 teaspoon vanilla
_ 1 cup sugar

Mix and eat right away.

I personally like to add sliced banana or a cup of blueberries to make it fruity. My Mom used to stir in an egg, but you should do that only if you're comfortable eating raw eggs.

I guess I should add this disclaimer: Some people say that our air is so polluted everywhere that snowcream isn't safe to eat anymore. I'll only point out this: It happens to be the same air you're inhaling into your lungs a zillion times a day.

One final word of kudos: Because I was on my hike, I was able to defend my title in the annual Skyhaven Court Snowman Competition, awarded to the person who builds the first snowman of the season on my street. I came home to find one in front of my neighbor's house, the one where the two daughters live. Good going, girls!

Happy Hiking,
Joseph
http://myhikingvacations.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment