Thursday, November 12, 2009

Return to Dennis Farm

While Switzerland is my favorite place to explore (and I'll gladly direct you to http://myhikingvacations.com/ for more info if you wish to go with us to the Alps next summer), I'm always thrilled whenever there's an invitation for a good hike or camping trip.

This weekend, I'm headed to a place called Dennis Farm, a spot near Leesburg, Virginia, that has a wonderful story behind it. It's a gorgeous spread of forest and farm that overlooks the Potomac River, privately owned by the Dennis family. They could make millions many times over in an instant if they sold it to developers in rapidly growing Loudoun County, but they have remained steadfast in their desire to keep the land in its wonderful, natural state. They allow Boy Scout troops to camp there for free _ because the Scouts know how to take care of the land _ so I'll be there to help as an adult leader with Troop 1018 from Dranesville.

Mr. Dennis passed away recently. Very sad news. He would always walk down to visit us at the campsite. I can't wait to see Mrs. Dennis again. I feel for her loss, but, knowing her, I bet her spirit remains strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment