Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Nature vs. Technology _ and Google Maps Goes Hiking

Two very diverse readings for you today on the hiking blog, stuff that's sure to generate lots of discussion.

First we have a blog from Jacqueline Keating, who works as an interpreter at one of my favorite parks in the world, Arches National Park in Utah. Jacqueline eloquently revives the nature vs. technology dilemma, one that I grapple with all the time.

When I'm hiking on the trail with friends, I find myself wishing that all of life could be so simple and enjoyable. I know people who wrap themselves completely in technology, as if they inhabit an artificial world. Oh, how I'd love to take them camping for a weekend with a map and a compass, away from the smartphones and GPSs of the world.

Yet I am typing this to you today on my desktop computer. I am a hiking guide who uses a website to invite you to go on hiking trips. I use Facebook and Twitter. I don't own a GPS, but I will sometimes use Mapquest or Google Maps to locate an address. I am an astronomy nut who wishes I could board a tourist spaceship to visit Mars, like, tomorrow.

So, yes, I'm a child of technology. Like anything else, it has its good and bad. The key, I think, is knowing when to put it aside.

Anyway, here's Jacqueline's excellent column, called "Hovercraft Hiking." Please give it a read:
http://followme.thesca.org/jacqueline-keating/hovercraft-hiking

Speaking of Google Maps, here's something new for hikers: Street View on hiking trails. They're doing it in Hawaii. Hmmm. Wonder if I can volunteer to do the Appalachian Trail. I sure would be noticeable, wearing that funny camera above my head:
http://blog.sfgate.com/hawaii/2013/06/27/google-goes-hawaiian-street-view-to-start-mapping-island-trails/

No funny cameras are required for our hiking vacations next year to Switzerland, Vermont, Nevada and Virginia. Learn more at our website (Technology rules!) at http://myhikingvacations.com/.

See you on the trails.

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment