Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Record Hike _ and a Visit to Hatcher Pass in Alaska

I usually don't race up the mountain when I hike. Sure, I can be competitive _ try to play me in a board game _ but I like to savor the walking experience. I admire the views, take photographs and try not to get so tired that I'm not enjoying myself anymore. Of course, it all depends on the group I'm leading. If they want fast, then it's fast. 

That said, I truly admire the speed hikers who set records. Today on the hiking blog we present a story about Josh Garrett, a 30-year-old cross-country coach at Santa Monica College. Josh hiked the Pacific Coast Trail _ from Mexico to Canada, 2,660 miles _ in just 59 days, 8 hours and 14 minutes, battling heat exhaustion along the way.

Read Josh's compelling story here, as told by Tom Stienstra of the San Francisco Chronicle:
http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/Josh-Garrett-finishes-PCT-in-record-time-4741079.php#page-1

Also today we have a first-person account of the Hatcher Pass hike in Alaska, written by Shawn Lyons. 
http://www.adn.com/2013/08/20/3033494/minding-the-weather.html

After you dream of Alaska, I'll remind you that next year we're going back to Switzerland, and also to Vermont, Nevada and Virginia. Learn more here: http://myhikingvacations.com/  

See you on the trails.

Joseph

1 comment:


  1. Dear adventure traveler!!
    Wel come to Mountain Mart Treks & Expedition (P) Ltd. for best trekking & Tour operator into the mysterious culture tours & adventures trip including Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan & India.
    Please if you are looking a adventure trip in Nepal! Kindly visit our official website http://www.mountainmarttreks.com for reliable information whatever you need. Or email me at gpminathapa@gmail.com

    trekking in Nepal
    langtang trek
    Annapurna trek
    Evererest Trek
    peak climbing in Nepal
    jungle safari in Nepal
    sight seeing
    cultural tour
    mountain flight
    adventure trekking

    Thank you so much for your desire to travel in Nepal with professional trekking and tour operator in Nepal!!

    ReplyDelete