Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Quite the Weekend _ Part II

Yesterday, I described Part I of a whirlwind weekend, one that began with a 6-hour roadside vigil while I waited for any of five tow trucks to come whisk me and my car away. One of your posted on my Facebook page: "Tough luck, Joe. Maybe your luck will change for the better."
Atop the Verrazano Bridge

Today, it's Part II, and I'm happy to report it's a sunnier tale _ figuratively and literally. 

Having arrived at my home in Virginia at midnight from my various tow truck calamities, I had to decide whether I still had the energy to take part in the Sea Gull Century, an extremely popular 100-mile bike ride on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Thousands and thousands ride the Sea Gull every year, in part because it's scenic (leaves are changing in October) and because it's an attainable goal for even a casual bike-rider (the land is very flat in those parts, and there are four rest stops that serve everything from peanut butter sandwiches to Gatorade to apple pie with ice cream). You have to book your place well in advance, and this happened to be the 25th anniversary of the event _ a quarter-century of centuries. 

I had ridden the Seagull once before with my friends Mike and Lou Ann and was looking forward to doing it again, this time with Lou Ann and her friend Amy (pictured above at the 63-mile mark, atop the bridge that leads to Assateague Island and the Atlantic Ocean), but we were supposed to meet at the starting point in Salisbury, Maryland, at 7 a.m. Saturday _ yet here I was still in Virginia and wide awake Friday at midnight.

My original plan was to drive to Delaware on Friday night _ that's where I was headed when my car broke down. I now decided I would sleep in my own bed and set the alarm for 4:30 a.m. If I woke up and felt OK, I would drive down to Salisbury and ride with my friends.

I overslept. Woke at 5 a.m. Nevertheless, I was determined to ride the ride. I'd been looking forward to it. I had paid the money to sign up. Lou Ann and Amy had been expecting me. It would be the only century ride I could do this year because of hiking trips and other adventures. I got dressed and hopped in my old pickup truck (car is in the shop, remember?) and made the drive. My truck doesn't have SmartTag and I hadn't been to an ATM recently, so I paid the $6 toll to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with 24 quarters I had scrounged up from a soup mug I keep at home. 

Lou Ann and Amy had already started by the time I got there, but I caught up with them at the first rest stop about 23 miles into the ride.  From there, we had a nice ride the rest of the way. I thought the lack of sleep would take its toll, but the good weather and good companionship and the desire to fulfill my goal of completing the ride combined to overcome my weariness. 

But, yes, in case you're wondering: I slept very well Saturday night. I had to, because there were more adventures to come on Sunday. That's a story for tomorrow.

Meanwhile, be sure to visit our website and check out our hiking trips for 2014.

See you on the trails.

Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment