Friday, January 3, 2014

Know Your ABCs ... and a Whole Lot More

Talking to "victims" during a training exercise.

The smiling graduates.
Seriously, more people should take a First Aid class. The same goes for CPR. Who knows many times in our lives we can be useful to friends, loved ones and strangers if we knew what to do, instead of yelling: "Does anyone know what to do?"

As hiking guides, we go a step further. Last weekend, I renewed my certification in Wilderness First Aid from the good folks at the Center for Wilderness Safety. It's a 16-hour course that teaches how to help people who are more than 1 hour away from a hospital.

You have to take the course every 2 years to keep everything fresh in your mind and because methods of treating injuries are always changing, but it's very rewarding.

I hope I never have to use most of the skills I learned _ the most serious thing I've ever treated on a hike I led was a blister and a slightly strained muscle _ but it's always good to be prepared.

Meanwhile, we hope you'll join us for our hikes this year. We'll be going to Switzerland, Vermont, Vegas and Virginia. Sign up now.

See you on the trails.
Joseph


No comments:

Post a Comment