Friday, January 29, 2010

A Swiss gem of a town, and it carries a "toon"






Now that we're well into 2010, it's time to start making those definitive plans for your summer vacation, so I thought I'd entice you with some photos from one of the most charming places you'll ever see. It's a city called Thun, whose first novelty for us English-speakers is its pronunciation: "toon". It's one of the places we'll visit when we take our hiking tour of the Swiss Alps this July, a spot to soak up some Swiss city atmosphere in between our treks in the mountains.

My last visit to Thun was in July 2009, and it happened to be the weekend the city hosted the international barrel organ festival. I'll have to admit, I wasn't sure what to expect from a barrel organ festival, but it was wonderfully surreal: hundreds of barrel organs lining the streets, playing "tunes" (pun intended) on a beautiful Sunday afternoon. We ate at an outdoor cafe, toured the Thun Castle (built in 1195!!!) while others in our group rode on the largest ferris wheel in Switzerland. We didn't have time to book a boat ride out onto the gorgeous lake _ definitely something to consider for next time. I can't overstate what a great day it was.

So, there, are you sold yet? I make this pitch because if you wait too long to book your spot on our July 13-23 trip to Switzerland, it might be too late. We're only taking 14 people, and there's still room for you now. (Plus, it gives you a head start for planning some of the logistics, such as making sure you have an up-to-date passport.)

So visit our Web site http://myhikingvacations.com and give us a shout. I'm eager to see Thun again, and I'm eager to let you enjoy the place for yourself!

Happy Hiking,
Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment